The Honorable Cristiana Mele
PHILADELPHIA – The Honorable Cristiana Mele has been appointed as the Consul General of Italy in Philadelphia.
Mele is a career diplomat, with more than 20 years of experience. Her appointment was effective Sept. 20.
The Philadelphia Consulate concerns itself with passports, visas and citizenship matters, serving Pennsylvania, Delaware, North Carolina and West Virginia, as well as some counties in Maryland, Virginia and New Jersey.
Mele’s previous appointments include:
• Chair of the G20 (Group of 20) Thematic Group on Food Security.
• Focal point for the Food Security, Agriculture and Nutrition at the Directorate General for Development Cooperation from 2018 to 2021, as well as gender equality focal point and vice head of unit for multilateral affairs and global strategies from 2018 to 2020.
• Chief of staff to the Ambassador of Italy to the United Nations from 2014 to 2018.
• Chief of the Sustainable Development and Environment Desk of the Italian Mission to the United Nations.
• Delegate to the Second Committee of the UN General Assembly.
• The Africa Desk at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
• Deputy head of Great Lakes Region Desk.
• Desk officer for Central and Eastern Europe.
• Italian Consul in Perth, Western Australia (2003-2007).
• Deputy Consul in Zurich, Switzerland (2000-2003).
She holds a political science degree from the University of Florence and a master’s degree in international affairs from Columbia University in New York. She is an outspoken gender equality advocate and outdoor enthusiast.
The Consulate General of Italy is located in the Public Ledger Building, 600 Chestnut St., Philadelphia.